Friday, November 10, 2006

Federal Agencies and Mid-90s Rap Stars

On Tuesday I endured one of the most excruciatingly boring experiences of my life. I waited for close to two hours in the Passport Agency office with no phone, no book and just a muted TV mounted to the wall 30 feet away showing CNN for entertainment. I proved my naivete about Federal Agencies when I assumed this would be a quick trip. I mean, I did have an appointment, after all. Apparently, so did the other 50 people who were there with me. It wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't had to leave my cell phone in the car (no cameras in the building). Living in LA, it seems like a useful tool to have around, you know, in case you happen to see somebody you might recognize from TV or something. Of course, with the exception of the guy from "Dukes of Hazard" (the TV show) stuck in traffic next to me on PCH that one day, I have never experienced this culturally pervasive circumstance...until now.

Like I said though, I didn't have my phone to snap a picture, so now I have no proof of this momentous occasion. I mean, its not every day you see one of your Top Ten Favorite Mid-90's Rap Stars. That's right, I saw Artis Leon Ivey, Jr. at the Passport office. Well, you probably know him better as Coolio. You do remember Coolio, right? Gangster's Paradise? Keenan & Kel theme song?? Guy with the gravity defying corn rows?! Yeah, I knew the hair would tip you off...that's what clued me in. At first I was skeptical. I thought, "come on, if it really was Coolio, would he actually be sporting the crazy hair, just to turn in his passport application?" Then I realized "wait, who else would ever walk around with hair like that, but Coolio?"

And I don't want to get into any sociological issues about LA culture and its celebrity worship, but I couldn't help noticing that the lime-green-clad wash-up did arrive 30 minutes later than I and get his number called at least 45 minutes earlier. Ah well, I just want to know if the good folks at the Kinko's passport photo counter were able to fit all that hair in the picture and still maintain the State Department's exacting standards for passport photos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home